27 June 2010

my hate-hate relationship with social networking sites

After reading this Shakesville post yesterday*, which featured Deeky and Liss' commentary on this Non Sequitur comic:


Image description: Drawing of a wedding ceremony taking place in a church. Visual focus is on a (presumably) white, cis-male, non-disabled, hetero groom wearing a black tuxedo; a (presumably) cis-female, non-disabled, hetero bride wearing a white dress with a train and waist-length veil; a (presumably) white, cis-male, non-disabled officiant wearing clerical black underthings, white robe, purple stole. The three figures have their backs to one another and are holding iPads. Text boxes coming from the iPads read, respectively "I DO. [send]", "i do. [send]" and "COOL! U R NOW HSBND N WIFE." The title "iRomance" appears in the lower right-hand corner.


I was so very pleased to see the story "Apple geeks conduct 'iPad wedding'" linked to in a Cake Wrecks post today*.


The internet is great, I'm with you there. Lots of information, people, whatever. Facebook? Okay, I like having one place where I can contact a lot of people if I don't want to use email; I still minimize my FB time as much as possible. Twitter? No thanks, I'm sure if I got started I could never be able to stop and would never ever have any free time ever. Apple, for me, is evil. I will never buy another Apple product if I have any choice in the matter. Google, also evil, but they've sucked me in and haven't screwed me over completely yet, so I'm still with them. 


If you're all yaygoFacebookTwitterAppleeverything!!!1!eleventy!!1!!!! more power to you. That's just not me. I don't even have a cell phone, because I don't want people to feel like they can contact me whenever they want and expect me to respond. I am lucky enough that I don't have the kind of responsibilities that would make not owning a cell phone irresponsible.


There doesn't really seem to be a point to this post, other than 'hey, this is kind of like the meatworld version of that one comic Liss and Deeky were talking about!' but wev.


*Yes, I know that's not when they were published. That's when I read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment